Explore

Monday, February 18, 2013

Featured Author Mondays - Jessica Jaster





Welcome another Featured Author Monday! Meet Jessica Jaster, a dedicated mom of two and a talented author. Before I tell you anything else, why don't you read on to learn more about her. Feel free to check out her links, buy her book or just support her in what way you can.

   Facebook
   Twitter
   Jessica's Website
   Goodreads
   Amazon
   Amazon Book Link Kindle
   Amazon Book Link Paperback

In her own words: 'I'm a stay-at-home mom of a currently one year old and two year old with an over-active imagination. I have been making stories up in my head for myself for as long as I can remember and finally decided to start writing them down (when I'm not busy chasing the two little ones around anyway) and sharing them with anyone interested. Most ideas I have so far for my novels are for young adults, some fantasy, some science fiction and some normal contemporary story-lines.'

If you are interested in Jessica Jaster's book, 'Delta Project: Hide' check it out on Amazon.com. In the meantime, might I interest you with the books description?

D005 has been a part of a secret government program known as the Delta Project her entire life. She has been genetically modified to be stronger, faster, smarter and to heal faster. Trained in hand-to-hand combat, weaponry and battle tactics, she has been worked to physical and mental exhaustion every day of her life. Raised without love or care of any kind, she has no idea what it means to be happy – to be free. And now she has run away.
But then she wakes up on the rocky shore of the Missouri River with no memory of how she got there, or why there are bullet wounds, scratches and bruises riddling her body. Her entire past has become a blank sheet except for a recurring nightmare of her running through the woods with dogs chasing her and voices shouting at her that she can never hide. As she struggles to understand the kind of life she has never had, emotions she has never felt before, and the mystery of her past, she is helped by Brianna Hartman and Reid Phelps – the two teenagers who discover her.
When she goes to live with Brianna at the Hartman Ranch, she must also learn to deal with Bri’s brother, the gruff Cormac Hartman, who is running from his own past. He seems to hate her from the word go, but when she discovers his crude attitude is just his way of dealing with the hurt he is feeling, she decides to make it her mission to draw him back into life. Then a mysterious stranger comes to the ranch and her new world comes crashing down around her as her past comes back to haunt her.

 I asked Jessica a few questions. Here they are along with her answers.

1)Tell us about yourself.
I live in small-town Iowa with my husband and my two children, who are currently two and one years old (exactly one year and one week apart from each other, as well as our cat, Pandora. I graduated from the University of Iowa with a degree in Anthropology. Yes, there is a big difference between Anthropology and writing young adult novels. (Although, if you think about it, since Anthropology is pretty much just the study of humans and human culture, it could actually help me with my writing sometimes). I actually did try for an English major. Well, first it was Criminal Justice, then English and then Anthropology. But the English classes I had to take just did not work for me. I did well in them, but I did not like being told what I had to read, what I had to write about or being told that what I thought an author meant by something was not the right way to look at it. So, I got a degree in something I enjoyed more and now I am trying my hand at writing young adult novels.

2)What inspired you to become an author?
I have always had an over-active imagination. I used to make up stories for myself in my head all the time when I was a kid and teenager (oh, who am I kidding? I still do that!). It wasn’t until I was like, “Hey, why am I not writing these ideas down?”, that I actually did. While I did write some of my ideas down, however, I never fully fleshed one of them out until Delta Project: Hide.

3)Which of your books is your favorite?
Well, I only have the one so far, so I suppose I would have to say, Delta Project: Hide.
D005 has been a part of a secret government program known as the Delta Project her entire life. She has been genetically modified to be stronger, faster, smarter and to heal faster. Trained in hand-to-hand combat, weaponry and battle tactics, she has been worked to physical and mental exhaustion every day of her life. Raised without love or care of any kind, she has no idea what it means to be happy – to be free. And now she has run away. But then she wakes up on the rocky shore of the Missouri River with no memory of how she got there, or why there are bullet wounds, scratches and bruises riddling her body. Her entire past has become a blank sheet except for a recurring nightmare of her running through the woods with dogs chasing her and voices shouting at her that she can never hide. As she struggles to understand the kind of life she has never had, emotions she has never felt before, and the mystery of her past, she is helped by Brianna Hartman and Reid Phelps – the two teenagers who discover her. When she goes to live with Brianna at the Hartman Ranch, she must also learn to deal with Bri’s brother, the gruff Cormac Hartman, who is running from his own past. He seems to hate her from the word go, but when she discovers his crude attitude is just his way of dealing with the hurt he is feeling, she decides to make it her mission to draw him back into life. Then a mysterious stranger comes to the ranch and her new world comes crashing down around her as her past comes back to haunt her.

4)How would you describe your relationship with your characters?
I like to put myself in my character’s shoes. Pretend I am them. Become them. And I make myself think, Okay, I am so and so, what would I do in such a such situation. All of my characters (current and future) hold a special place in my heart.

5)What was your biggest challenge/triumph as an author?
My biggest challenge as a new author has been putting myself out there, promoting (or pimping, as I call it) my book and trying to get it noticed by readers. My biggest triumph – aside from actually completing a book – has been finding a dedicated fan base (even if it is small right now).

6)What are your plans for 2013?
I have a lot planned for 2013! (Hopefully I will actually get it all done. I plan to finish Books 2 and 3 of Delta Project and then I also have three other books I am working on (and will hopefully finish) this year. Those are Murder At Thirteen, Just A Girl and one that is tentatively titled Haunting Memories (Searching for Audrey series, Book 1).

7)Which is harder to create: villain or hero?
Hm, I guess I would have to say villains are, just because I find it harder to get in the mindset of someone like that.

Did you like what you read here? Then, you should follow all the links provided in this post. It's your only chance to read up on a new author and continue adding to your book collection. You do have one, don't you? See you around! Thank you for joining me for yet another Featured Author Monday

1 comment:

Please comment relevantly and thoughtfully.